The LMRCC focuses on habitat restoration, long-term conservation planning, and nature-based economic development.
Restore River Habitats
The LMRCC, in conjunction with our partners, undertakes activities to restore habitat including:
- Implementing aquatic habitat restoration and river-access improvement projects. Read the fact sheet (PDF, 3.2 MB).
- Restoring bottomland hardwood forests in the river’s active floodplain. Read the fact sheet (PDF).
- Preparing a comprehensive plan, the Lower Mississippi River Resource Assessment, that includes habitat restoration for more than 3 million acres of lands and waters. Read the fact sheet (PDF, 3.2 MB) or view the project area map (PDF).
Promote Greater River Access and Use
Some of our activities to meet this goal include:
- Development of an online sport fishing guide for the lower river (download the PDF or Flash version). Download the fact sheet (PDF, 3.8 MB)
- Coordinating the development of the Lower Mississippi River Water Trail
Encourage a Broader Appreciation of the River
To promote the Mississippi River, the LMRCC:
- Documents the river’s economic importance to the region and the nation. Download the economic profile (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Documents the importance of good quality river water for wildlife and people. A new water quality assessment will be completed in 2014.
- Developed a comprehensive Geographic Information System to help plan and implement habitat restoration and river-access improvement projects
Initiatives and Projects
To learn more about our initiatives and projects, click on a link below: